Monday, August 28, 2006

Campfire! Reflections 2006


Last week I spent another week at Campfire! (The more I use it, the more that exclamation mark in the name annoys me.) This was, I believe, my eighth year of service at this camp, and my 10th week. Apart from one week serving as chaplain I have always been a counselor, looking after and mentoring a group of 5-6 boys along with a co-counselor. I started off doing Discovery Weeks for 8-12-year-olds, but now stick to Teen Weeks for those between the ages of 13 and 16. This past week was one of the easiest I've ever had.

Hobbe Smit and I, known for the week as Hobiwan and R2-D2 respectively, were responsible for the oldest group of guys, four 16 year olds and one 15 year old. The guys were really mature, making our job easy. The best part was seeing them grow spiritually, in terms of their relationships with God and with each other.


Beyond the basic facts, it is difficult to communicate about one's time at Camp. It is a unique place with a unique atmosphere. What I will say is this: At Camp, more than any other place, I am able to focus myself on coming to know God more. At Camp we are free from the regular, worldly distractions of everyday life: bad language, suggestive advertising, etc. This is a good thing, but it is not unique. Any wilderness getaway boasts the same advantage. What I noticed at Camp, especially this year, was a freedom from internal distraction. Gone were the stupid, wasteful daydreams and often improper fantasy life that usually takes up a lot of my mental energy. Instead, I was able to focus my entire mind and will on growing in knowledge of God and on serving him and those around me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.