Thursday, April 08, 2004

The Last Day

- Today was the last day of classes at Redeemer University College. It was bittersweet. I must admit a great feeling of relief upon handing in my last paper, but also a bit of grief as my last class (Modern Political Theory with Dr. Koyzis) drew to a close.

- On a lighter note, I noticed that William Hung had his album released. For those of you who aren't in the know, he is a failed American Idol contestant, whose spirited but pitiful presentation of Ricky Martin's "She Bangs" drew the thumbs-down from the judges but won the hearts of viewers. He became such a pop culture phenomenon that he was signed to a record deal, and produced Inspiration.

I'm ashamed to admit that I saw his American Idol appearance. He had a refreshingly upbeat attitude, but he can't sing at all. He admits it openly. He also has horrible taste in music, it seems. His album of covers includes "She Bangs" "Bailamos" and various other pop tracks that shouldn't have been recorded once, not to mention twice. (Although, to be fair, he also butchers The Eagles' "Hotel California" and Elton John's "Rocket Man" which were both excellent songs.)

The reason I'm interested in the William Hung phenomenon is that, like him, I have no musical talent. I figure this qualifies me for a record deal. If you guys don't see me at Redeemer next year, it's probably because I'm recording my debut album: Travesty

No comments: